Don’t let the name fool you! Black bean brownies are one of our favorite chocolatey cheats for a reason. Try it for yourself!
Black Bean Brownies
- Black Beans – one 15 oz can
- Oats – ½ cup
- Baking Powder – ½ tsp
- Salt – ¼ tsp
- Agave or Pure (Actual) Maple Syrup – 1/3 cup
- [Optional] Coconut (unsweetened) – 2 tbsp
- Coconut Oil – ¼ cup
- Cocoa Powder – 2 tbsp
- Vanilla – 2 tsp
- [Optional] Chocolate Chips – ½ cup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prep a 8×8 pan with coconut oil to prevent the brownies from sticking to the pan.
- Rinse canned black beans thoroughly.
- Place all ingredients into a food processor except the chocolate chips. Process very well, until completely smooth.
- Pour smooth mixture into pan and stir in chocolate chips.
- Bake for 15 – 18 minutes. The brownies might still be gooey, let sit for at least 10 minutes before trying to cut.
- [Optional] When the brownies are still hot, place a few more chocolate chips on top to melt and then spread across the top.
- The brownies will firm up overnight and are good the next day. Or just expect a them to a bit gooey when eating them fresh out of the oven!
- This recipe works well with both regular and dark chocolate cocoa powder.
- There are other “blondie” versions of these brownies that you can find the internet which include chickpeas and peanut butter – yum!
- If you’re looking for extra toppings, try reheating frozen berries in the microwave as a healthy alternative!